View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Rick,
I'm with Gene. After the first time I "tried" to dust our cabinets I noticed that the coating that was on it, was, well, hardly there, not to mention the edges being very rough, it snags on everything! So, I have been refinishing, door by door over a period of time, I lightly sand the fronts and backs and have to put a little more effort on the corners as that is where the wood is not very smooth. (I picked up a golden oak stain for those times I sanded a little too hard). When all is smooth and even in color, I apply at LEAST 2-3 coat of Water-borne Polyurethane, (the water based products don't yellow). And for cleaning, I just usually dust. If it gets spills or whatnot on them, you can use warm soapy water on a dishcloth and wash like you do you counters.

Now I can run a duster over the cupboard and not have to worry about snags. Also, the Poly U. adds to the durability of the wood. I plan to also put a finish on the dining Table and our Desk as I can already see some indentations on my desk.

I think the only thing you can do for the part of the cupboards that are not wood is to use a dishcloth with soapy water and but a roll of the stuff for when it gets a tear or a hole in it.

Joy T.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote