View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Home Theater Upgrade

The DVD player quit working in the factory Home Theater system during the first camping trip of the season in my '06 3400RL, so I replaced it with a Samsung HT-C550 5.1 Home Theater system I purchased from amazon.com. At first I was just planning on using the existing speakers but once I saw the speakers that were included with the Samsung unit were of a lot higher quality I decided to replace them all. The subwoofer was the easiest since it's simply velcro'd in place:

The rear surround speakers were then replaced:

The front speakers were a bit more challenging, the center speaker was quite a bit larger than the original. I removed the television and fireplace and did a bit of woodwork - fortunately the original pieces holding the speakers in place were all screwed together. I fastened the new speakers to the original shelf:

and then reinstalled the shelf back into the original location:

I then fabricated a lightweight wooden frame that I covered with speaker cloth that press-fits into place, covering the new speakers. I think it looks much better than the original:

The new system sounds far better than the old one! Total time to complete the project was less than 3 hours. The bedroom speakers are no longer connected to the system but I am planning on connecting them to the bedroom television in the future anyway.

Rick

coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote