Thread: New Trucks
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #22
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I haven't been in a car part manufacturer since the mid 2000's. I worked in a class 8 truck supplier from then until a few years ago and was tired of the stress. My company dropped out of cars right after I joined them and did straight class 8. We forged our own rings and pinions with the teeth and then used 5 axis CNC's to bring to size. Being a machinist you would have enjoyed seeing that. After heat treat we ground and then put the ring and pinion in a lapper and would run and apply pressure for both coast and drive to get our shim size to have the correct contact. It then went to assembly to be finished and dropped in a carrier. The auto did do it that way but the forging didn't have teeth at that time and you cut from a blank. I would say that since it has been so long in technology advancement time since then, the methods have changed but the principal should be close. As a machinist you would enjoy touring some of the plants I have worked. Having been in automotive for 20 years, technology advancements usually start there and filter down.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote