View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great info, everyone. Thanks. I would have to go out and get the manual to verify this but, if I recall, the manual says that no aftermarket filter filters particles as fine as do the Motorcraft filter. Maybe that was true at the time the manual was written but is that true now?

When we bought the 2003 6.0 only Motorcraft oil was recommended for the 6.0. They said no others at that time met the specs. That may have allowed them to "require" Motorcraft oil without having to actually provide it since they just said the oil has to meet these specs and by the way no others meet it? Now they show several oils that meet the specs including Rotella T, which is what I'm using.

Anyhow, I'm all for saving money but first want to be sure it won't cost me in the long run (shorter engine life and/or loss of warranty). At the rate we put miles on this thing that 100k mile point will come up plenty quick. We're averaging over 3,000 per month.

Thanks for all the info. I currently have four Motorcraft oil filters in the toolbox, bought at various Walmarts when I find one that carries the filter. I also have another fuel filter kit or two that I bought at International for half what Ford gets but more than what you folks are showing is available. So I'm ok on oil filters for another 20k miles or so and on fuel filters for another 30k miles or so (recently changed them).

Do you all change the fuel filters yourself? I did that once but last time had it done. Have you had any problems with changing it yourself? I got the right sized socket to remove the cap on the frame filter unit so I have all the tools this time. Just wondered if you had any problems with changing the filter.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote