View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
We went to Alaska in 2016. Started near Bellingham, Wa. Went to a place called Vanderhof near Prince George because it was a decent campground. We stayed a couple of nights so we could go to the Fort St. James. A historic park that was very interesting.
Then on to Stewart, BC / Hyder, AK. Hyder has a Nat. forrest/park called Fish Creek Observation area. It has a 10 foot high boardwalk about 50-100 yards long beside Fish Creek. The salmon come up this creek in early August and grizzlies walk up the creek looking for food!?! We went back 2 evenings and saw a different bear each night - they can tell them apart! The platform is really only about 5 feet high in some places so a bear could easily have a human snack if it wanted to! LOL
Oh, almost forgot an interesting tidbit. Hyder has no banks so they use Canadian money even tho it is in Alaska.
On to Whitehorse where we stopped for a couple of nights. They have some nice restaurants in town.
Finally up to Tok, Ak.

We spent 3 weeks in AK before heading home. I think we spent 4 weeks in AK the previous trip.
And if you are up for an adventure, you can go to Dawson City and then over the Top of the World highway. It was very good gravel in Canada. But about 3 or 4 miles into AK it turns to a dirt road. Places where there is actually a boulder under the road you drive over. And it is very narrow in places, tho no major cliffs or steep hills but very rough for about 80 miles or so. You can stop at Chicken Alaska too!!
Other things in BC like Banff park. I like the Tunnel Mt. #2 park. It has full hookups and some pull thrus I think.
Spend at least 6-8 weeks from southern BC to AK and back.
Have fun
Pic below is on the way from the main highway into Stewart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	10611  

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote