View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Successfully threaded cable with no existing cable to attach to?

I’ve replaced one slide room cable using the nylon sleeve method of attaching old and new cables to each other. But I now have a situation where a cable is missing (different spot than the aforementioned cable). It’s at the top corner of the slide room, so at least I’m not faced with having to fish it up from the lower corner; that seems impossible without removing the facia and “jamb”. I’ve watched the famous training video and several others, so I know the basic technique. But without removing facia and jamb (which are not present in the video), it would require either quite a stroke of luck, or some technique of which I’m unaware to thread the cable from the outside in such a way as to properly meet up with the pulley and be able to grab it from the top of the jamb. Note: I can’t position myself to look down through the top opening of the jamb. I can take pictures with my phone and I can see the end of the cable. But snatching it “blind” is another matter. I don’t think I can get a mirror in place, either, to monitor my fishing.

https://youtu.be/lQWBI0gnhpI

1) Has anyone successfully done this? What technique did you use?

2) I suspect I’m confronted with having to remove the facia and jamb, or else let the dealer mess with it. The only video I’ve found is a DIY remodel where the fascia was glued and stapled to MDF, which in turn was screwed into the metal frame. This does seem a bit daunting, and I’d really rather avoid it altogether. Nevertheless, any tips on how to proceed?
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote