Thread: Fuel stops
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #51
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhawg View Post
I have a noob question for you experienced 5th wheelers. Last year we had a travel trailer towed with a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. We were traveling with another couple. He was towing with a GMC 2500. In order to avoid the hassle of cramped gas pumps we decided to give truck stop diesel pumps a try. When I tried to fuel my truck it would only take fuel very slowly. If I tried pumping above the very lowest speed it was like the fuel would back up and I would get diesel "burped" all over me. It happened both times I tried the commercial pumps. After the second attempt I just opted to use the regular diesel pumps and was extra careful getting to and away from the pumps. Has anybody else experienced this?
1st off I avoid the auto lanes with a 5er at all times, too easy to get into a point of no return position. With that said My Ram 3500 has not problem with Truck lane pumps in fact I am in and our very fast s it is a bonus.

To avoid having to deal with auto lanes many of as have installed AUX tanks I have a 46 Gal so nearly 80 Gallons on board, so more range then I would drive on any given day. so very convenient to fuel after disconnected or stretch fuelings to the next truck stop.

I also fuel at the Truck lanes as I use the TSD Fuel Card with provides $0.25 $0.50 per gal discounts. Get one it is highly recommended, they have a card for RV'ers. (use lightsout as the referral)

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Anyway for about $600 you can DIY a decent size Aux fuel tank, however keep in mind it takes away from payload and with a 2500 3/4 ton you are likely already at or over payload pulling a Montana 5er
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote