View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ah, the first thing to learn is that when referring to the trailer, just because there's storage for it, doesn't mean you can afford to carry it. ANYTHING you put into a trailer adds to the cargo weight, including paper plates, feather pillows and playing cards. My trailer has a GVWR of 14,040. The laden weight (full propane tanks, 15 gallons of fresh water and all the gear and tools we use) and the gross weight is 13,450 and the pin weight is 2570. Therefore I'm at 18.3% of my trailer rating. Notice the shipping weight DOES NOT APPLY.

The second thing to know is that more times than not a salesman likes to quote that bumper pulls are carry about 10% at the bumper (carried by the TV), and then they'll say a fifth wheel carries about 15% of their (gross) weight at the pin. But this only applies to horse trailers, cargo trailers and those smaller car haulers because most of their cargo weight rests on the trailer's wheels (and there isn't much over the pin. What they don't tell you is that for a residential fifth wheel, the pin weight can be from 18% to 25%. Any more than that and one will say you need to move some of the load to the rear of the trailer to maintain the 15% to 25% recommended pin weight.

jlb27537 is absolutely right. There is an excellent chance an F-250 cannot support the pin weight. Mine didn't and in 2006 Montanas were lighter and for my truck I upgraded the rear suspension and wheels, to gain compliance. And Ford 3/4 ton trucks have the best ratings of the three auto makers, but Ford trucks also have higher curb weights, too. Don't believe the brochures because they are light. IIRC, the truck's curb weight was documented at 7,600 lbs, but mine actually weighed 8,100 lbs and 8,400 lbs with cargo for towing (including DW and our little dog), then put the rig on the hitch and the rear weight went to over 10,000 lbs. Not all trucks can do this and still be compliant. I would not recommend that next time around. I've learned enough that my next truck will be a dually because of the hassles of ensuring weight ratings isn't worth the aggravation if you DON'T make it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote