Thread: Ebikes
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #16
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I think you all might be surprised at just how easily some of these locks are either cut or overcome by thieves. There are some amazing videos on the web about this subject I came across while researching for locks for our e-bikes. One take away that resonated with me is that if thieves want your item bad enough they will overcome the lock. I came to the conclusion that I didn’t have to find the perfect lock I just needed a lock or locks that were more of a PITA than the next guy. I hope whatever choices you make your lock keeps your bikes safe. I went with ABUS Granite Extreme U-lock and a 4K chain that were intended for motorcycles. Wasn’t the most inexpensive option but accomplished my primary goal.
I watched those same videos and I thought the more steel they have to go through the better. A high quality u bolt lock is thicker and requires two cuts compared to just one with a low end lock. I'm also hoping the thieves battery wont last when multiple cuts are required on multiple locks. Just recently on one trip I added apple air tags to the bikes. I guess have been a victim too many times over these past few years so Im hoping i can keep them from being stolen.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote