Thread: Decals
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I do vinyl sign making...Let me tell you about vinyl decals: The life expectancy of ANY vinyl when exposed to the sun and its UV radiation is 5-6 years. Less if the vinyl used is cheap and doesn't contain any UV stabilizers. You can just about double that life span if you keep it religiously treated with a UV protectant such as 303. Every 5 weeks or so. Other than that....It's going to happen. I apply it to all of my plastic parts and tires too. Also the top of the awning that is always exposed to the sun.
Every pigment known to man fades under UV exposure. Paints, plastics, homes...You name it. If it is pigmented, it will fade. Plastics become brittle. Vinyl awnings rot AND fade.
That's why I've never worried one bit about spending hundreds of dollars on a RV cover. In the northern latitudes, we need to be covered in the summer...Not the winter. A layer of snow and ice actually protects your RV rubber roof from UV oxidation. The sun just can't get to it. Yes, there are UV rays in the winter too (I've gotten sunburned many times skiing). They just aren't nearly as strong.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote