View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Nice to know we just came up the I-15 from California through Montana and Northern Idaho. Spent 24 hours in the rain and on wet roads had similar thing happen with the breakaway switch. Had a supply line short message on the P3 controller. Spent the night just south of the 90, Thought the time of the road would allow things to dry out. In the AM still had same prob talked to my SIL who has been hot shotting (hauling Freight) across the country and into Canada, Recommended to pull the break away check for vapor /steam or smoke from wheels or break away, So I pulled the 7 way from the tv and pulled the break away no signs of any problems or fires.That was a good thing! Plugged the 7 way back in and Message is gone , I did manually activated the brakes did a tug test brakes are working great. SO off we go another 4 hours of rain and there it is again , I pulled off the road and Im thinking hey it worked last time it will work again, so I pulled the breakaway walk around the trailer everything is goo till I get to the breakaway and it is smoking. Yikes, I quickly plug the breakaway in run around the trailer again everything is good, till I get to the breakaway and now the breakaway way is melted wires are melting smoke pouring out of it I grab the cable pull it and only half the pin comes out with the cable. Double yikes grabbed the melting wires by the black wire loom yank them out of the break away, the guts of the switch fall out and the smoke and melting stop. Wow, now what to do?I don't have an extra breakaway so I cut the melted part of the wires off about 4" fold them back and tape with electrical tape. Check the P3 all looks good did the tug test again all is good. That was on Sat. today installed the new breakaway and all is good till i read this post, I think I better check my 4" box tomorrow! Wait why is this happening to us travelling in the PNW???
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote