View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Fire Safety Plan

I guess for many of us this is the season that the furnace may get turned on or some type of space heater may get pulled out of storage and utilized. I know there is only so much you can do because most RV's burn like rolled up newspaper soaked in gasoline.

The only preparation or prevention I have done is obtain 2 extra fire extinguishers, only use ceramic style heaters, and replace batteries in all the OEM detectors.

I have 3 escape windows in my current model Montana. But to be honest, if I wake up to smoke and/or flames I am going out that door! By the time I helped the DW out that window and she dropped to the concrete and broke something, then another minute or so for me to snake out of that same window and land my 240 pounds on top of her....I just don't see us having that much time, especially if when you wake up you can't see or breath because of thick black toxic smoke.

What other preventive steps have others taken, or even thought about? Any retired, or working fire fighters care to chime in?

I keep thinking I will mount a good quality smoke alarm in my basement but am wondering if just regular campfires would set it off.