View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have a SIL that works for a national restaurant that normally is know for breakfasts and late night bar closing clientel. She makes way less than minimal wage and the company feels tips are part of her pay! The company add up all of the tickets each waitress has during their shift and then figure a 10% tip on each and that is figured into their wage and how they are taxed for federal and state taxes also. There has been several times that she has had to pay the company because she was on the minus figures when it came to deducting taxes and health insurance she carries. By this, you can tell she has been at this for many years because of being offered health insurance. This money comes out of her pocket from the tips she did get. Not right in my eyes! The cooks make a decent wage and about 4 times what the waitresses make! Not right again!
I tip pretty good since I used to be a waiter and a bartender at different times of my life. I know what it is to try and live on just the paycheck! I do not tip the counter people at the large chain stores like Mickey D, BK, or others like that but if I sit down for a meal at a table and get served by a waitress/waiter, I tip and tip pretty good. I do tip less if the service is poor but they still get a tip! If there is a tip jar at the carry out I always leave something- usually no less than a dollar but something and as was said about buffets, the "serving personel" get at least $1 per person at the tables!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote