View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
Is the only reason people want the Residential refer, because they don't have to mess with the propane? I have heard propane can be a hazard when left on while driving, but that is what we have done on every trip? Then I hear so many more people say they would only have a Residential refer? So I guess since using propane while driving is not as safe, I am going to try the residential refer on my next purchase?
I've had both and I prefer the residential for several reasons. If you do a search you will find that the RV refers seem to have more issues than the residential. Not saying that most are just fine but I've read a lot about problems and the expense of repairs. Unless you are going off the grid for more than a day or so there is no "need" for the RV type. The residential cools down much faster than the RV (up to 4 hours for the RV), and stays cold during normal opening and closing of the doors. A good example is how ice cream freezes. I have found that it stays a little soft in the RV type even if you don't disturb it by opening the doors. The residential keeps it solid just like at home. With the inverter and good golf cart batteries you can overnight while traveling and not lose any cooling. Of course while underway the batteries are charged by the TV. Also, the RV type requires that you maintain the trailer in a reasonably level position. Not always possible when traveling and overnighting. Not putting down the RV type so no need to challenge me. Just my preference from a lot of experience with the RV units.