View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #32
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have a 3500 and not a 2500 (which I loved) because a 2500 has a finite limit to what it can carry, just like a 3500. You can pull it all day long but that isn't the same as carrying it. So, I have no different train of thought than those with a 2500 except thinking because it IS a 2500 it's big enough for anything...they're not.

RPM3402 made some good points but disregarding the payload isn't wise. As mentioned the "payload" gives you a little cushion before you hit gawr. GAWR should be the drop dead, stop here number....no fudging. Since folks won't abide by that we have a payload number.

As far as states weighing you I've personally watched a NM trooper with a large 5th wheel and truck stopped carrying a portable scale around. I went back by later and the trailer was there, driver, truck and trooper gone. So it does happen will happen more frequently going forward the more folks push weight boundaries.
You are 100% correct. You don't mess with your rear axle GAWR. Best to know what your real rear axle weighs, by going to the scales and get a real weight, first without the rig but a full tank of fuel, , then throw your fully loaded, fill up that fresh water tank, 5er on there and weigh the rear axle again. Easy math, subtract the weights and you will know what your real wiggle room is. As some know, I modified my 2500 diesel with springs and upgraded tires( tire ratings exceed GAWR rating) but exceeding rear GAWR is asking for disaster. Yes, there is some fudge in the ratings I’m sure, but that is just too big a risk, not worth pushing that envelop. Go from there.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote