Thread: Propane
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As long as the rotary knob on top of the propane tank is closed tight, there should be no need for an additional cover. I have mostly the black passive ones that just slip on to the threads of the POL fitting but these only protect the threads from damage. Years ago I purchased one screw on style plastic one that screw into the POL fitting in the opposite direction, but it doesn't take long for them to be cross-threaded, then you'll wish you had the over-the-thread style. If you thought about it, with the propane being under such high pressure and if the strong valve on the top of the tank does not hold in the propane, then these cheaper plastic covers won't either.

I am with the majority (or the consensus) in that this dealer is a moron that wants to sell some of those overpriced plastic connectors that screw on in the opposite direction and become a problem later because of it. If you believe this dealer, he probably makes a mint off the ignorant selling these things.

The same goes for the cutoff at the autoswitching regulator. If the propane is not running, there is an automatic shutoff that should prevent propane gas from escaping from a disconnected line. If you hear hissing, then it has failed, and the regulator will need replacing (don't forget to shut off the propane supply or it can not only stink up the area, the vapor is very explosive.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote