View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome Jan and Joe. I don't know if it will fit the current model toilet being used in the Montana but Camping World sells an adapter to raise the throne 2 1/2 inches. We used it on our older model toilet, one of the real short ones, in a prior Montana. 2 1/2 inches doesn't sound like much but it made a big difference. I don't know if it works with the SeaLand toilet, though.

As for Montana, there are a number of good brands on the market. What I like about the Montana is I think it's the best bang for the buck. For us, beside the usual floorplan and structural quality criteria, the manufacturer's reputation for standing behind the product is important. These and other factors are why we're fulltiming in our third Montana.

On trucks, all the brands will do a great job for you. We towed with Fords and still think they're excellent choices. We currently tow with a Dodge and although we've only had it for 1900 miles and towed 650 miles I am very, very pleased with it so far. As for transmissions, I don't agree with the other poster who said even Ford owners would agree Allison is best. I think the Allison is excellent but found the Ford TorqShift equally excellent. The only magazine comparison I have seen said the Ford is the smarter transmission about when to hold gears, when to shift up and when to shift down, uphill, flats, and downhill. I know both of mine were excellent. The Ford transmission does not "hunt" for gears. It seems to know which gear to pick. The Allison has an excellent reputation and is an excellent transmission so don't get me wrong about that. I just don't think it's better than the Ford TorqShift. And I've driven them all. Also, we currently have the new Dodge 68RFE six speed automatic (built in Japan) and I am finding it even better than the Ford, so far. With just 1900 miles on the truck I cannot say that beyond any doubt, yet. And the transmission is new so it will be a few years before we know how it holds up. Plus we have the builtin exhaust brake. Bottom line in my opinion is they all do an excellent job. I'd make my buying choice based on other factors, knowing they'll all tow just fine. And, we did just that a couple of weeks ago when we traded trucks. I drove them all and loved the new Ford but am leery of a first year engine. The Dodge engine is "new" but is the tried and true 5.9L Cummins bored and stroked. Basically the same engine that's been around a long time, just improved.

Whichever direction you go with FW and tow vehicle, good luck and enjoy your travels.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote