Thread: Shower Leak
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You are, of course, free to do as you wish but I would highly recommend removing the caulking that was placed where there was no caulking along the bottom of the surround. That is intentionally left uncaulked to allow moisture to escape. The moisture from condensation from difference between the hot shower and cooler outside air. I'm not sure about the top of the surround. I think other Montanas were caulked along the top. I haven't checked this one yet.

I learned this the hard way on our first Montana. We had our dealer caulk ours and when we developed bubbles on the fibreglass outside the shower, Fox RV, in Middlebury, IN, told me as they repaired the damage that caulking that shower stall caused the problem. The moisture has to go somewhere. Caulk the bottom of the surround and the moisture goes into the wall.

Again, do as you wish but ours will remain uncaulked. Our 3295RK was uncaulked for it's whole four years and all our fulltiming without a problem from being uncaulked.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote