View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 04:41 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Bent jack

I clipped a curb and bent the rear curbside jack last year (first pic). The aluminum jacket and flange was slightly bent but the steel bracket on the frame was really bent out of whack. The jack still worked correctly and I used it in this condition for several months while I pondered the various fixes suggested by the folks on this forum. With “encouragement” from DW I was ready to attempt a fix.

First I put some boards under the shoe and beat it flat with a short handle sledge hammer. I was unable to break the jack leg bolts with my ratchet tool so I bought a Kobalt 1/2” battery powered impact gun (needed one anyway). I removed the jack and sort of tied it up with a short bungee so it would not hang by the hoses.

The bracket was bent inward and backward.

Using my short handle sledge I started beating the bent parts of the bracket. I whacked it as hard as I could from that position. After 15 minutes of whackin’ The bracket was back reasonably close to plumb and square. The bracket was good at the top but still slightly bent inward at the bottom. Front to back plumb was good.

I decided to raise the jack up by one hole. I also raised the other 3 rear jacks by one hole. I went to Home Depot and bought some washers to install on the jack bolts. I used two washers on the bottom bolts + 1 washer on the center bolts but none on the top bolts. The jack is not perfectly plumb in all directions but to the naked eye it looks perfect. I will post some “after” pics later.Click image for larger version

Name:	90EA3E03-FC45-4555-9501-D2E6925F6C5A.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	4564
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote