Thread: 15 K for a 3400
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You're right, Sue. SW Kansas is not technically a "desert", although there are sand dunes, and it is a very arrid region, generally. It is "High Plains Prarrie" and no trees. No rivers, no lakes (basically no water), only some extinct river beds with a few small trees by them. So flat you can see until the Earth curves away from sight - about 30 miles or so. We had to travel 40 miles east to have the kids wade knee-deep in muddy water of the small Meade Reservoir for any water recreation. The Arkansas River flows out of Colo and disappears shortly after hitting the Kansas border. It reappears later in OK. Used to flow all the way, until irrigation became widespread several decades ago.

After three years, I went back to Michigan to start my own business. I drove over to Grand Traverse Bay in Traverse City - where I grew up - and waded into the water (that no one was fighting over) and said out loud, "I will never take this abundant supply of fresh water for granted - EVER again!" Did you know that there are places in the world where you can actually take a bucket and dip clean water out of a lake without someone screaming at you (and threatening a law suit) that that's THEIR water, and you haven't paid for it???

Anyway... oh yeah, 2nd A/Cs. If you are not a "hot weather person" (I do like warm weather), get the 2nd A/C.

(*Moderator - delete if you think this is inappropriate)
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote