View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Thanks Sourdough for your comments. I do appreciate it. There is a scale 10 miles from the dealer so that will be my first stop. I have already weighed my truck as is so I know how much is on each axle now. They told me the trailer would not be long enough to weigh get all three weights (truck front axle, rear axle, and trailer) so having this base weight first is key.

I have been sweating this for weeks now and crunching the numbers. I am committed to not overloading the truck and will do everything I can to keep it under. I have read a few tricks like filling the fresh water tank which is behind the axle will take some weight off the pin but need to be careful as too little weight on the pin will induce sway. As a last resort I will consider going to a spring shop, adding a leaf and getting it recertified.

I was surprised that a 3500 srw only added 400 lbs of capacity, I think it is because of the 20” wheels on the High Country. It is my understanding that the 2500 and 3500 have the same axles and brakes. You don’t get the big bump in capacity until you go dually.

Anyway, safety first!

Mike
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote