View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig! And sorry....

You should have gone with a 3500 srw at the least. Either the truck drives the trailer purchase or trailer drives the truck. In this case the trailer was driving the truck size. Trailer dry, if at all accurate, at 12056, would result in a pin of 2411 at 20%. If you actually put clothes in that front bedroom, tools, jacks, cribbing, ice chest, food, pots/pans, toiletries, etc. etc. etc., that you absolutely have to have, you will eclipse the payload of that truck before you get started if not very careful.

I understand not finding the 3500 you wanted. I couldn't either. I spent almost 2 years looking for one then bought the current one in FL (I live in TX) because they found one in St. Augustine (I was S of Tallahassee). I wouldn't buy a larger trailer until I found a truck that could pull it. I already had a great 3/4 with a 3190 payload; not enough for the trailer I bought and it is lighter than what you are getting.

If I were you I would take the trailer immediately to the scales before you put anything at all in it (LP and batteries should already have been added) to see where you are. You may be overloaded as soon as DW and the pups get in the truck..... Just don't be lulled into thinking everything is fine because you are loading "light" - and check that scale like you mentioned right off the bat to give you and idea of exactly what you can put in it.

Good luck. Not trying to rain on your day but that's a lot of trailer for that truck and just want you to be mindful as I know you are by your post.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote