View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 05:32 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
With an apology in advance to the OP, I'm doing a bit of a hijack and saying why I wont use the EZ Lube function.

I don't use the E-Z Lube zerks - and have actually put a plug from etrailer in the access hole. I much prefer (well, not really) to pull the hubs every year or 12K miles as Dexter recommends in their bearing service manual. I started doing this on our SOB (Titanium)on which I had to replace the Nevr Lube axles with a pair of EZ Lube. One of those axles arrived with grease contaminated brake shoes and one, a chipped Chinese made bearing.

Jump ahead a few years, the new HC needed some REAL tires at 1500 miles so looked at the bearings. Two Chinese bearings were bad - one inner had a deep score on all rollers and one outer had run hot and was discolored. In go all new US made Timken bearings, packed with Mystick JT High Temp. The existing Dexter installed grease that I dug out of the hub was thin and soupy plus barely filled the bearings with virtually none in the hubs.

I just don't care for hoping to get enough fresh lube on both bearings in a hub. I don't much like the idea of those very light seals containing lots more grease then necessary against a very low spindle land plus holding it back from contaminating the brake. I also don't like the idea of adding even more unsprung weight to those pretty light springs and axles.

You can see the grease exit hole (6K axle)and that little land on the major dimension is all that holds the seal from leaking lube:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-spindle-stub2-1.gif
Views:	78
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1123  
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote