Thread: Internet Access
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bob, the answer to your question is "All over the ball park." I'll give a few examples. On a recent trip to Florida, on the first night (near Robertsdale, AL) we found not one, but two OPEN wireless access points. Had excellent connection totally free. Have no idea whose network we were using. The next couple of nights in St. Andrews State Park, Panama City, FL, found a commercial access point. I think it was in the $9.95 per day range. Very poor connection as we were evidently a good distance from the router. A few days later in Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta, GA. Again a commercial access, this time related to the park. No connection possible at all at the site we had, but could go up near the camp headquarters and get a good connection. Some nights we found no available access at all. A few days later near Commerce, GA we needed to get on the internet to look up an address and phone number. We stopped in a parking lot and found a "Flying J" access point. Cost about $5.00 to get on. I keep an Earthlink account to use for dialup when no wireless is available and I can find a modem. I could go on, but I hope this gives some indication of the variability of the wireless situation.

Oh yes, on our most recent trip we found a park near Hot Springs, AR where the wireless was excellent and was entirely free--provided by the park (Cloud Nine RV Park). I think more and more RV parks will have to provide free or very inexpensive wireless access as travelers begin to seek out parks with this service.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote