View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #20
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
Thanks again Brad - very comprehensive response. I have a lot to learn and think the standard Solar Flex would be a good starting point for me to learn and possibly expand. We'll probably do a lot of our camping in the western US where summer temps can be quite high so I figure I'd get a generator to start with. It's great to have options!

Thanks again!
Steve,

When I ordered my 2019, I got the standard solar/inverter package. The solar/inverter package was new and the super system didn't exist. It came with only three outlets wired on the 2000W inverter. The RV refer, the plug next to the refer on the counter and one opposite the bed in the bedroom. Completely useless power distribution. Now they at least expanded it to include the recliners and TV. The panel is 265W and the charger was a 100V/30A MPPT charger unit. I upgraded to 1175W by adding four 160W panels and another 270W panel to complement the 265W. I used the 160W panels because the 270s where too wide to make it around the third AC over the center area on the roof. I have it in two series strings of three panels each and replaced the charger with a 150V/85A. The 160W panels are rated 8.6A and the 270W panel at 8.77A so the series arrangement works well. This allowed me to keep the current under 20A on the panel side so I could use the 10ga wire. If I ran things in parallel, I'd have to up size the wire drastically. I did upgrade to 2ga on the output of the charger to the batteries along with a larger circuit breaker. It operates at around 70V feeding the charger.

I added a subpanel and a new 50A transfer switch to replaced the 20A unit they had on the output of the inverter. I have power from the inverter for the whole trailer except the ACs, converter and electric WH. I posted about it somewhere on here. I do have the 5500W Onan for the ACs. I can run all three at once with all other circuits off, but it's pushing 5200W. I usually keep two running and have the WH on electric and converter on. As was posted above, the RV refer uses around 600W so it sucks the batteries down fast. I ended up removing it from the subpanel so it didn't kickover to electric when I had the inverter on. Lots of info here, but it is possible to upgrade the standard system. When my four 6V batteries need replacing, I'll probably upgrade.