View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #22
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
I do have an 8K window ac unit I can use, and I do have a generator.

The system I am looking at only has a 2k/4k inverter. How do I know if that is enough?

I want to build something on the ground to put the whole setup in. It comes with a 70amp breaker box. Can I run a 50amp plug off that breaker box and plug up the rv with the shore power cord, or do I need to wire it differently? If I can plug it in, how does that effect the power setup that comes in the trailer (battery and whatever charges it?) I am still unclear on how this part of the system would work? Also, how is the generator used to charge up the batteries? How does it fit into the system as a whole?

I guess I still need to get a battery monitor for this setup also.
Ok, your confused on a few things....

The 70 amp breaker is just a catastrophic fuse....it's not a 70 amp breaker box. So set that aside for now.

Yes, you can set it up on the ground and plug into it like an RV park. You can buy at home depot an RV pedestal in both 20 amp, 30 amp and 50 amp outlets. Your inverter will wire directly to the pedestal. On my property I have a combination 50 amp plug and 20 amp plug. Both with their own breakers. But I also have a 50 amp generator that can produce that much power.

The main item you need to be concerned with is that 2000w inverter. That will produce only 18 amps at 110volts. (2000/110=18.18)

So that is what you would be producing in amps, which is basically just your standard outlet. So a 30 amp or 50 amp pedestal won't do you any good as your inverter can not produce that power.

A 8000btu window AC draws about 750watts @ 110v that is almost 7 amps. Leaving you with about 11 amps to play with for the other demands in your RV.

Now the batteries in your system store energy, so you can run things at times when you can not make power, example at night for solar.

The generator and the solar panels both have the same function....they produce power. Solar panels can't work at night, so you need something to get power from, hence the power from the batteries. The midnight charge controller in your system is how the solar panels store their energy into your batteries. Your onboard converter will do a similar function of charging your batteries when using your generator.

Connecting your system that you mentioned above is very easy and considered by most a hobbiest function. No need for electrical degree. Positive and negative wires, hard to mess up. With a few fuses and breakers sprinkled in between.

The Achilles heal in your system will be the inverter. But with learning to manage your power it will be a good starter system. @ $1500 I would say that's a decent purchase.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote