View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Decalcify/descale kit for Suburban IW60 water heater

My unit is coming up on two years old and I need to perform a descale cleaning for the on-demand water heater. Just curious if anyone has done that and how did it go?

This is what I have discovered so far...I can't find a thread on the subject in this forum or several others. There are no youtube videos for the Suburban IW60. There are many videos for descaling a residential on-demand water heater, and it seems to be the same process...hook up some hoses to the IW60...turn the valves off near the water heater so that vinegar is not circulated thru the entire plumbing system...hook the hose to a small pump...put some vinegar in a 5 gal bucket...turn it on and let it circulate for 1 hour. Looks simple.

I have not yet taken all the junk out of my front compartment and removed the storage bulkhead to look at the back of my heater to see if Keystone plumbed it with the cut-off valves and accessory pipes to hook up the descale kit. If they did not prep it like that - I will have to do the work. Just curious if anyone else has looked or tried it and can say how Keystone plumbed it.

I emailed Airxcel Suburban to inquire how to buy the kit. She emailed me the instruction manual, but they do not sell the kit direct - you have to go thru a dealer (sound familiar?). She provided a link to find dealers in my area.

Now as for purchasing the kit - if you google the full kit name, part number for the kit or any part of the name - NOTHING comes up - which seems very strange. I did find lots of descale kits at Home Depot and Lowes ($120 - $150) - but not the Suburban kit. I then went to the website of some of the area dealers (including Camping World) and tried to search the kit to check prices and got NOTHING. I assume the generic kits available at Lowes and Home Depot are similar, except they will be missing the pipe adapters or something else that will send me back to the store to rummage in the bins to find.

The pic below shows the set up (or open up the attachment for a better view), and I have not looked at mine to see what exists and what I will have to add...just curious if anyone has already done this and how did it go. TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-31_9-24-01.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	8165  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Descale Kit for Suburban IW60 water heater.pdf (779.8 KB, 254 views)
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote