View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #16
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
We have a 2010 Mountaineer. In 2012 we had black tank plug issues. We are Winter Texans sitting in one spot for 3-4 months. An RV Repairman sold me on a reverse flo valve and showed me how to use it to dislodge the plug. About the same time I attended an RV Clinic where they demonstrated the various brands of TP. They convinced us to use Angel Soft (Septic Safe) purchased at the grocery store. They suggested an enzyme powder (instead of the black tank deoderant) (2 TBSP) added to a 50 gal tank after eadh draining and put a couple gal of water back in the tank so you don't create those dry pyramids. The water also allows the enzyme to start breaking down the solids right away. And use plenty of water with eadh flush. They said the cause of most clogs is the material is too dry and not enough water being used when flushing. They said a full tank will empty much better than a partially full one. Don't drain until you hear the tank give you that belch or burp. And they suggested when we move from site to site, leave some water in the tank and add some Dawn Dish Soap to slosh around while going down the road.. So I thought if it is so great to put Dawn Dish soap in the tank when moving why not put a little (1/2 cup) in after every draining.

I use the reverse flo valve to refill the tank about half full a couple times after the tank first drains. When done, I add 2 or 3 gallons of water to the tank and 2 TBSP of Sea-Zyme enzyme, and 1/2 cup of Dawn. And we switched to Angel Soft paper. When I pull that valve to drain it slithers out like grease. And there is not much solids. Mostly brown liquid with a hint of paper now and then. That was 8 years ago.
My family was in the septic cleaning and installation business for many years so I've seen a thing or two. I have never seen an enzyme that was working in less that two weeks so generally in an rv your dumping raw enzyme out. I could be wrong as there may be some on the market for rv's that work faster but I seriously doubt it. You can tell if it's working when you dump. If the color is black it's working, if the color is brown it's not.
Either way you can save the money you're spending since the dawn will counter act any action an enzyme might do.
I use a cap of laundry soap and a cap full of Calgon after each dumping. I have never had a buildup, odor, or sensor issue over the years. I do like the idea of filling the toilet and dumping it a few times when the tank is empty to break up anything building right under the pipe. I think I'll try that and see if more brown comes out.

As we used to say in the business, "a good flush always beats a full house"

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote