View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
<snip>....One thing that was disappointing was how far out of balance they are. Two had to be rotated on the wheel a second time to keep from having to put on a ton of weights. Otherwise, time will tell.
</snip>
Did you specify that you wanted the wheels "Lug Centric" balanced, and verify it was done, v. the conventional "Hub-Centric" method???? Lug-Centric uses an adapter which mounts the wheel through the lug bolt holes. Hub-Centric uses a cone the fits into the center of the rim.

Unlike the thousands of auto wheels they do everyday, the wheels provided on Montanas do not have a perfectly centered hole in the rim. Balancing one using Hub-Centric may require a ton of weight and a subsequent re-weigh will find the wheel out of balance and a different amount of weight being required.

Get the wheels balanced with the Lug-Centric method and you will find the tires are not the balance problem.

The last time I replaced a tire on the Montana, I asked for Lug-Centric balance. "Oh yea no problem, let me write that on the ticket" said the counter guy. But that doesn't mean the guy doing the work read the ticket. I watched as he Hub-Centric balanced the wheel, added a couple of lbs. of weights. and then rolled it out to me. After a short chat with the manager, the wheel was re-balanced with 1 oz. of weight.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote