View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Well I have had a motorhome burn to the ground because I ran the fridge while traveling.

I had the propane tank filled in the valley, a 90 degree day, and we headed to the hills. Driving down a dirt road at about 4,000 feet I heard a loud "whee" noise and looked in the side mirror and holy S**T the whole back was on fire.

Slamed on the brakes and bailed out the front door. I had 4 teenage boys with me. We were on our way to a Search and Rescue training weekend. We stood in the road and watched as it burned until the 357 rounds started popping off and then we ducked.

The best we were able to figure is the "whee" noise was the saftey vavle popping open and then sticking.

In as much as the propane tank was located along side the frame about 4 feet in front of where the fridge was located and of course it was on, had to keep the beer cold, the propane flowing back down the side of the motorhome ignited when it got by the fridge vent.

Those things sure burn up in a hurry.

I still drove with the fridge on in the replacement motorhome and also in my new 5er. I think the big difference is the location of the propane tanks.

This is one of the reasons I have asked about driving with the heater on.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote