View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #70
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
All this weight stuff drives me crazy.

First of all the GVWR refers to the amount your truck can carry and stop safely. However thats just for the truck. So my truck has a 10,000 payload rating which means that the total amount of weight should only be 10,000 pounds for the truck to be able to stop safely.

My trailer has a total loaded weight of 13,000 pounds. Thats a estimate from the manufacturer. Now the brakes on the trailer should be bale to stop that trailer without the trucks brakes doing all the work.
So none of you weight police ever separate anything and get all twisted up over not being able to stop safely.

There is a limit to how much weight the rear axles are designed to carry BUT Ford Dodge and Chevy always add a cushion of weight to them which means that they are able to carry more than they say.

If you have a 1 tone or a 3/4 tun they both carry the same and pull the same same motor and transmission same axles in some cases. DRW trucks are built more for heavier loads yet the have same motor and transmission but heavier rear end. You can over load them also and some do.
Just not sure that everyone needs a DRW to go camping a few times a summer because they may be a few hundred over weight.

Just make sure the trailer brakes and truck brakes are in good working order and you will be fine.

P.S. Air Bags are a nice addition to my truck. Helps level the truck and helps the shocks cushion the ride when the truck isn't loaded. They don't increase the load capacity of my truck. Thats not what they do.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote