View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I do it all the time, leave the hitch hooked to the king pen and unlatch from truck bed, raise the front landing gear and drive out. When reinstalling I do just the reverse and very carefully lower the 5th wheel landing gear and move the truck to the exact spot. It takes a bit of effort to get the truck in the correct spot, but no back-work. Its a matter of patience, if you don't have enough, don't start the process. There are no issues with weight of the hitch hanging on the pen box and the hitch is easily observed by folks (like me) walking by the front of the rig and probably has saved me from bumping into the pen box. Also, one more thing, I keep the hitch locked to the pen box along with a short piece of chain locked between the two parts of the hitch. The results are a secure hitch hanging on the Montana and a flat bed in the truck. I have at times when in a hurry gotten almost to the correct spot to reattach the hitch and then unhook it from the Monty and wiggle it to the exact spot within the bed of the truck then do a typical hookup, still again no back-work.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote