View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
Montana_4581

M.O.C. #4581
After more water problems with the main feed (once while running on the holding tank and pump), I was finally able to come up with a the proper fitting for the water feed and hook the hose up properly. No problems since.
I have replaced all the factes which I would recommend doing on any new or newly acquired RV. For a new RV I would make it a delivery item from the dealer.

According the the dealer, the GFI problem was indeed related to the exterior connection. Seems if you use it, moisture can get in the plug and short it out. Options were to not use it and leave the cover closed or change out the GFI switch. Working in the north, I preferred to have lights outside for leaving in the am and returning in the pm since it was quite dark during the short days of the winter.

As for wintering in the RV, it works great but you have to fully enclose the bottom so that NO wind can get to anything. If it does, you will have a problem. I have added a 2 inch vent feed in this RV for the underbelly but have not been back to below zero environments to see if it solved everything. The dealer added a heat pack for the fresh water tank because he stated it would definitely freeze. I added the foam pipe insulation to the water lines so if air did seap through, they would be protected. I used plywood and 2x3s with foam insulation along the top edge for a seal. I also used long threaded rods to secure the plywood across the unit so I would not need to drill into the unit. I tried the hay bales one year but it took a lot of hay, was a big mess, gave a place for the asian beetles (look like lady bugs but not) to winter and a problem for me to dispose of in the spring.

Sounds like some good improvements have been made by putting the water lines up next to the floor instead of allowing them to lie on the underbelly.

After correcting these problems, I have had no further problems and will probably trade this in for a new Montana. I certainly have not found anything I like better.

I would like to see an option for more heat in the underbelly or in a channel (similar to a heat conduit) that would surround the water lines as a part of the artic package. Also, make metal facets standard even at an increase in price. It only makes sense to not put a known problem in the initial installation.

If I were in charge of QC for Montana, I would use these forums to eliminate any of the regularly occuring "nuisance" problems.
Montana_4581 is offline   Reply With Quote