Thread: best mileage
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #36
Doug Kindred
Established Member

M.O.C. #21812
Diesel and mileage

Hi all,

I joined the group after much frustration with the help from Keystone for our 34’ Mountaineer. Just my two cents here on diesel. We had a 35’ Avion in ‘91 and I briefly pulled it with a Dodge Power Wagon (gas) giving 6 MPG. Promptly bought a 91 Cummins and got about 11. Wow, nearly doubled my mileage. In 98 I bought a 98.5 24 valve cummins and gained a couple more mpg. Then I chipped it with a Edge performance chip and gained another mpg and highway mileage improved from 17 to 21. When I bought the first diesel, you’re right, diesel was about .50 a gal cheaper here In Oregon. We bought the Mountaineer new in 05 and it is 3 thousand pounds lighter than the Avion. I now have a programable chip in the Dodge with 5 levels. I typically run it at the second level until a steep grade and bump it to three till the crest then back down to 2. I don’t have the recommended gauges for tranny temp and pyrometer so I don’t go above 3. With the new chip system I can upgrade on the fly and pull the grades at 55 plus. Doesn’t seem to affect fuel mileage. I just turned 300K and did have to rebuild the factory tranny at 185K. I had them do the heavy duty rebuild. Don’t think I would replace my rig with anything newer than a 07 cummins. Too many epa regs on the newer diesels. Thanks for the great conversation and tips on problem solving.

Doug and Barbara Kindred
In the Beautiful Willamette Valley, Oregon
Doug Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote