View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, if I am reading this correctly, unless we intend on floating into Mexico via the Rio Grande River, we might be ok here.

go to this web site:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

here is part of what is there:

"What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements. The goal is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors.

Who will the Travel Initiative affect?

The travel document initiative will affect all United States citizens traveling within the Western Hemisphere, who will now be required to carry a passport or other accepted document.

It will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States namely most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda and Mexican citizens.

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel."

There is a lot more here, lots of links, etc. I have not read it all, but will be doing so soon.

Still gonna get those passports, ours have expired, so, now is a good time.

Thanks Vicki P. for sending me this URL info!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote