Thread: April 1 Worm
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I hope I am not stepping into a snakes pit here, sighhh

I think it depends on how you back up your data files.

First, I am not talking about mirror images of your complete system, just the data files created when I do photos, word processing files, spread sheets, that sorta thing.

I back up the data on my main family data base frequently, actually, the program has a nice little utility on shut down, offers me the chance to back up the file into a nice little zip file. Will save to the same directory on my hard drive each time. Pretty easy, quick and gentle reminders, nice stuff.

When I do back ups of data from the hard drive to MyBook, or storage place of choice, we all know there are many wonderful choices, including online, I do NOT overwrite my old backups. I have back ups of files from so far back I cannot even remember, but know they go back further than 1999. I do not destroy the old files, I save em.

A couple of years ago, I did one of those really stupid things we all do to our data, I made a change and well, wiped out well over 300 sources on my family history data base. For someone that is into sourcing, this was next to a catastrophic happening.

I had done a back up of the data base just a couple of days prior. I was able to retrieve the backup, install on one computer, used it to refer to and 4 months later, had all the corrections done on the other computer. It took that long to fix it all. I did not want to restore the backup and move on, because I had done other changes to the data base, LOTS of adding of new people, new names, new facts, new photos. I was not in the mood to try and recreate all that. It was easier to just correct the sourcing deletion. It also gave me a great opportunity to do a major overhaul of the way my sources were compiled, a silver lining as it were.

Nope, I never OVERWRITE data files, make backups yes, but, never overwrite.

Well, hope that is about as clear as mud. SIGH

Not intending to insult or upset anyone.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote