View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Your camper is a little over 40 feet long and just due to the length the end of your camper will experience an incredible amount of bounce. Simple physics based on the position of the axles and the length of distance to the end. Lots of bouncing back there. Anything you hang off the end is going to experience a tremendous amount of abuse. Imagine your grill going through a several hour earthquake? An earthquake is probably mild, compared to the forces experienced by anything hanging even farther than the end length of your camper.

Also, looking at your floor plan, you have a cargo area in the rear, on a sliding try. At least according to Keystone's floor plan of your model. By attaching a cargo carrier, when you need to access that area, you'll have to remove the carrier, and then when traveling, put it back on. It's just something to think about.

I have a cargo carrier I used on my last 2 travel trailers. I carried plastic simulated steamer trunks on the carrier filled with sewer hoses, and my garden hoses for water supply. And in the event of rain, it was a good place to put my ground mats when they were wet after breaking camp. More weight than that, I'd never put one.

But one problem I also experienced was the side to side rocking of the carrier, which was horrible. The with of the carrier was about 5 feet, and when slid into the receiver hitch, it had a horrible about of rocking left-to-right. Not only bouncing up and down from the length of the trailer, but now side-to-side up-and-down, as the shaft for the carrier had too much slop in the receiver hitch (on 3 different campers). When I had a bumper, I was able to build supports to keep it from rocking. But my current MHC 375FL does not have a bumper and the slop in the hitch lets the carrier rock (on the ends, almost 6 inches up and 6 inches down. That means, not only bouncing up and down, but also rocking back and forth an entire foot, side-to-side. Anything carried on that carrier now, is doomed to get destroyed. So, my current MHC 375FL??? I do not use the carrier at all any more.

I guess what I'm saying is, I do not recommend you use a carrier on your's either.
That’s darn good advice from an experienced RV’er. Thank you! I need another solution, perhaps the bed of my truck if it fits.
Detroit Don is offline   Reply With Quote