View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
2 Delco batteries/ 7yrs, it was time

I was driving to get propane the other day and smelled that "hot battery" smell. I had only smelled it twice before and that was in the Navy right before one of our huge marine batteries on our 50 ft converted mike-6 boat decided to lunch itself. I had noticed earlier that morning that the voltage was down between 9 and 12 but it came right back up after starting. Today I got into the truck and turned the key and the engine heater light didnt come on, and when I turned the key I got one rotation of the engine. I took it over to Wally World and they tossed a load tester on the batteries and found one dead cell. Well after 7 years of heavy use I kind of figured I was on borrowed time. At least the new ones have removable cell caps, I never trusted those "maintenance free" batteries, and I got a 3 yr full replacement warranty with them. And since I got two at the same time if one craps out I get two new batteries... Glad it happened before we hit the road week after next...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote