View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We have had our late 2006 3400RL in freezing temperature and ours does have the "Arctic Package" . If the "Arctic Package" is really helping I sure wouldn't want to live in one w/o the package. We had the outside water line(hose) freeze but nothing inside the RV. I suspect the underbelly was quite a bit warmer than 32 degrees since the furnace was running almost continuously. Two 7 1/2 gallon tanks of propane were used in 10 days. And this was in AZ. I've also tried to patch over areas in the underbelly where I thought warmer air might be escaping but due to several water leak repairs and a cracked black tank replacement some of that may not be very effective any more. One can feel internal air currents develop near windows, etc in very cold weather. The place that I have noticed real cold the most is under the computer desk. It became bad enough that I added a supplemental portable electric heater there to keep my feet warm. So the conclusion we have come to is that we wouldn't want to try to live in it very long in sub freezing weather especially if it was windy. However, I do suspect that outside temps could probably drop many degrees below freezing before the internal pipes would get cold enough to freeze while the furnace was running but am not sure how comfortable it would be for humans. Somehow, we also missed the "Warm and Toasty" option when we configured our unit. If we travel in sub freezing weather we make sure all the pipes and water heater are drained and all the tanks are empty except the Black tank which we throw a little RV antifreeze in. We don't feel safe running the furnace while traveling. So far we haven't winterized the pipes or the traps primarily because it is usually less than a day that we travel in sub freezing temps. YMMV.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote