View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mopar1

Our Mountaineer 345 DBQ does not have the package. The underbelly is inclosed and has a R14 rating. The walls are R9 and the roof is R14 also.
We would like to camp late fall and early spring when the overnight temps may drop down below freezing.
Should I open the underbelly covering and add heat tapes and more insulation? They say that the pipes are insulated.
Also I would imagine running a de-humidifier would also be a good idea too.
Thanks! Bruce
Bruce,
Our unit is a 2000. We've been full timing in it for eight years, some of which was in weather down to 5° F. Our unit does not have the arctic package. We had one pipe freeze running between the kitchen and bathroom. This was my fault as we didn't run the furnace at night. You must run your furnace at night set at about 50-55° F in order to get just a little heat in the underbelly. This will help keep any pipes from freezing.

The pipes are not insulated.

We have not run a dehumidifier in the eight years of living in our rig, but every person (family) makes their own choice. I know some who swear by the dehumidifier and others, like us, who don't. We find that if we keep a vent cracked, we don't have any humidity build up. Well then you might say, "What happens to the humidity created by the shower?" We run one of our Fantastic Fans on Low and it takes care of the humidity.

Hope this helps you a little in any decision you may make.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote