View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There has always been two distinct camps on the MOC reguarding towing anything behind your fiver ... vehemently not and some that do. I'm among those that do. To me it all boils down to what you're comfortable doing. I'm a farm kid ... 60 - 70 feet of equipment traveling down the road just "ain't no thang" to me. I have a camera on the rear cap to help keep an eye on things. Does it effect handling ... I tow a @2000# squirt boat with no issues other than you have to be more pickey about fueling up. I have a bit more weight to stop, but I'm aware of it and deal with it accordingly. I wouldn't recommend adding 4000 - 5000# back there by any means. As stated, you will be somewhat pressed to stay under the legal length which is on average 65' west of the Mississippi. Unless you just have some outrageous setup, I've not heard of anyone stopped soley just to measure total hookup. There's an issue with factory warranty on new units, for me it was a non-issue as I believe a good hitch (not the flimsey factory one) actually braces up the rear of the frame somewhat. I know I'm making some on the MOC red faced, but to each his own ... just pull something sensable back there not your restored 66 Bonneville.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote