View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
The first must have is a Surge Protector. The 2 major brands are Surge Guard and Progressive industries EMS. Both brands basically do the same with maybe slight differences. You can either get a portable unit which you plug into campsite power box or you can get a hardwired unit that is permanently mounted in your RV. I installed the Surge Guard 50 amp hardwired unit with the remote panel in my RV and it has been working great with no issues. It's personal preference as to which one you get. Do your research and decide which one works for you and also do a search on this forum.

Thanks been considering EMS vs Surge Only but have heard issues with hardwired units and certain generators like Honda and floating ground and no bypass on the hardwired units. I don't have a generator yet... the unit is ordered with Generator prep so I can do LP generator or can look into something like the Honda units. It has 2 AC's so eventually would like to get some suggestions about:

Power:
battery upgrades to do
solar panels
generator
slow start for AC's

eventually would like the ability to have solar for boon docking but for our first season with it we'll be using our seasonal site.

As far as Solar does anyone know, if possible, to use Solar as primary and House as secondary? We pay for electric at our seasonal which is fine but if I can use solar to offset part of that cost then that would be useful, as well as having the solar ready for dry camping.

Unit 3855BR comes with Residential Fridge so want to make sure whether we are doing a 2 hour or 6 hour drive things stay cold. Anyone with Residential Fridges have issues with this? I've only had RV fridges in the past that can run on gas while driving so hasn't been issue.
montana20 is offline   Reply With Quote