View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Dustytuu, I hate to jump to conclusions, but the 2 padlocks on that old trailer set off an alarm bell in my mind. While it could mean nothing more than the occupants were products of an environment where nothing was safe unless it were locked and chained, the overkill on the locks could also signal a meth lab on wheels (as I believed someone else has mentioned).

High school teachers, at least in the districts where I've taught, have regular in-services focused on "what's new in the world of drugs and alcohol," because we teachers have to stay on top of the changing drug culture which has infected 99% of schools these days, even the small-town ranch community schools in Montana. We have a huge meth problem here, which surprised me when we first moved to the state. Now I understand: Montana is a sparsly-populated state with a lot of wide open space in which to make meth undisturbed. The common ingredients needed to make it are found in nearly every barn on the land, and thefts of ammonia and fertilizer are common.

Many derelict single-wide trailers around here are not only protected with padlocks and iron bars over the windows and doors, but also with big dogs. Perhaps the owners are just protecting their possessions. On the other hand, as a huge drug bust we recently had in the county revealed, maybe they're cooking meth inside. The saddest component of this situation is that children and other innocent people may be living in or near something that can explode at any moment.

I do hope that someone has been able to learn if the family is just down and out and in need of help. If that's the case, perhaps a more suitable shelter can be found for them. As the economy worsens, I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more people like that family.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote