View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 08:20 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I don't call anything and "upgrade", as I've never swapped out anything factory installed for something else. But, I have done lots and lots of changes to my Montana. But, every one I've done was done based on a need we had, rather than just making a change to make a change.

We've added the washing machine and dryer, awnings, lights, moved light switches, removed carpeting and replaced with laminate flooring, fixed flimsy shelves, fixed the Coloplast and sealed it in, lots of calking, screws, and plugged up holes and gaps with Foamy Stuff and other types of expanding spray foam. I've had tires changed out after a blowout (in my opinion, that WAS an upgrade and a price tag to go with it), new mattress on the bed, dozens of Command hooks, rebuilt the closet doors to make all 4 panels sliding, removed the shower glass doors and replaced with a curtain (is that a down-grade), but it simplified our life and solved a problem with the glass doors. I added an outside shower so we have water on both sides of the camper on the outside, supports for shelves, fixed problems with the stove, and several exterior wall scratches and bumps. AND, more I can't remember at the moment.

Point is, everything done to our camper, I did mostly myself (except the bent axle problem) and everything done beyond factory install was done based on individual preference and need. The need was to make my camping experience better, because the original minimum design was lacking the functionality I wanted and needed.

To simply make changes or get upgrades for the sake of doing them, is like the new RVer who goes out and buys all kinds of RV related camping gear, supplies, tools, dishes, and yard furniture, just to never use any of it or eventually sell that stuff or get rid of it and replace all the "stuff" with those things they actually need and use. This takes time to figure out.

So, if you have a specific "need" to make a change or do any kind of "upgrade" then by all means, get it scheduled and get it done. If you do not have any specific items on your own improvement or change list, then why make changes for the sake of just making changes?

If you have a need for for some work on your camper, you know it and it will drive you batty until it gets done. If everything is satisfactory and you are comfortable with the current status of your camper, then why change anything.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote