Thread: Dead Battery
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
I have the Iota converter in our 2006 Monty. Over the past few years the 120 volt breaker tripped twice. I didn't notice it
until the lights dimmed. I added a digital voltmeter to our gauge panel and learned that the Normal voltage out of my converter was only 13.2 volts. That is the float voltage and will not charge a depleted battery to full capacity. The Xantrex models do a good job as discussed in an earlier reply in this chain. Awhile back someone mentioned that there is an add on module for certain converters that will allow proper three step charging. West marine as well others has a good chart showing battery charge capacity vs measured voltage. They also have a good discussion page about charging batteries.
My schumaker portable 15 amp charger puts out about 15.5 volts as the battery reaches full charge. That scares me and when I called their tech support I was told that 15.5 volts is fine fior charging. My battery is an AGM battery and the manufacturers label says 14 .1 to 14.2 for charging and 13.2 to 13.5 volts for float voltage. I use the Schumaker very carefully now.
Batteries and tires seem to occupy a lot of forum space, but I feel that the amount of easily found valid information for batteries is way ahead of any
Sound information on tires. If you want to start a spirited discussion just mention tire problems.

CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote