View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If you know about hydroponics, and few do, then you should also remember the trick of running soapy water through the stones and over the plants to wash them and get rid of bugs. We always taught that trick when I sold hydroponics MANY moons ago.

I find that works just as well on my plants grown in soil or soil substitutes. I use dish soap, make a lot of suds, rinse the plants, poor a bunch through the stones and rinse with clear water.

My violets never get outside, so they don't have to have soap bathes. I have given bathes to the other outside plants, but, have to admit, do not do it regularly, and it is possible that I have carted a few nasty pests home.

By the way, what is your source for hydroponic food, I find it very hard to find locally, and have not bothered to look on the net in quite a while for it either.

OH, and if you ever get a water softner for the RV, don't water your plants with water run thru the softener, too much salt. I use the tap water from out side, or distilled or bottled water.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote