Thread: Darn Snow Bank!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
A car clipped the passenger side rear corner of my High County and then ran while I was pulled into a gas station. He left me with a really nice bent up J panel skirt and the end cap pulled out slightly. The red marker light was broken also.

There wasn't anything I could do at that time except get mad, which didn't help anything. And I did not want to claim it on insurance with the deductables, a hit and run with law enforcement and insurance, and really screw up the trip we were on. After looking at it more careful, it wasn't so bad after all. I did pick up another red marker running light and got it working again and just left the dent.

Once home, I removed the marker light and used the hole to help pull out the dent. I found out there was plywood on the end cap that was shattered and swelled up. I was able to push the plywood back in place the best I could, I replaced the J trim on the end, and was able to pull the aluminum out using the hole for the light. And then, because it wasn't perfect, I pumped a ton of caulking, putty into the plywood on the corner and screwed it all as tight as I could. I put a new piece of the J trim on. I then spray painted the brown looking aluminum with Rust-o-lium black. It blended in very well, hid all the scratches, and cleared up the dent look that remained. After a few days, the black spray paint blended in with the brown (fading) and 3 years later there is absolutely no difference in the paint color now. The dent is still there, but it's all, pretty much, vacuum sealed tight.

I figure, if I ever get hit again, THEN I'll claim that corner on insurance. My makeshift repairs probably would survive a second time.

So yes, you can fix it yourself. If you are so inclined, you can remove the J panel and hammer it back out. But that will mean taking things apart. I did not want to do that.

Now, when you look at my camper's corner, unless you are standing right up to it, it's not noticeable at all.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote