View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
PND Mountaineer
Established Member

M.O.C. #28460
This has been an issue with Keystone for years and they seem to be unwilling to correct this. My unit is a 358RLT, 2013 and on my roof the stables are pushing up against the membrane. If you do not correct the problem the staples WILL make a hole in your roof and the aluminum shoulder edges WILL cut a hole in the membrane also.
Here is what I am doing. First of all I have a fully enclosed garage big enough to open my slides and still get around the trailer (38 ft). I understand most people don't have this advantage. So as for my fix-I have removed the drip rails along the side of the trailer and opened the front and back trim to release the membrane (mine is EPDM) carefully pull back the membrane up and back to expose the shoulder and staples. Most of the staples pull out when you do this. They do not hold into the wood. I removed all of the staples, located the roof joists, drilled a hole though the aluminum shoulder into the joists, squeezed gorilla glue between the shoulder and roof. Then screwed the shoulder down, stapled about every 2-3 inches with my staple gun. Over all the shoulder seams and along the line where shoulder overlaps the roof ran 3" EnternaBond tape. This will put a cushion between the screws and staples and the membrane. The factory used some thin black tape with a mesh that the staples pushed right through. Used roofing glue for the EDM and pulled it back down over shoulder. The drip rail screws hold the membrane so used same holes but did add butyl tape to back of rail-factory didn't. Resealed front and back.
I wanted to fix the issue BEFORE I had a leak in the roof and that would have been a VERY expense fix. If you want to see pictures of what I found after pulling back membrane just let me know.
PND Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote