Thread: New Big Sky
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #33
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

...Drain pipes in the compartment and what appears to be a heat duct that runs along the top. Our 13 Big sky is completely open. greatly reduces usable compartment space. Poor design....
Rich, you have spent too much time in the 3400 models. The 3700/3800/3735 models (the ones with the extra long drivers side slide) and now the 378 Big Sky all have drain pipes (washer line and sewer) along with a heat duct in the basement. That is just the way it is with that floor plan. If they moved the location of the washer/dryer and bathroom then the pipes wouldn't be there. But it wouldn't be the same floor plan.

The cheap tinfoil like duct work they use to to connect the heater and the bedroom floor vent should be improved as it is easily punctured or torn. In mine, I replaced it with regular 4" hard pipe duct from HD.

I agree the drain pipes and heater duct don't add to the useability of the basement in these models. But having worked with it for almost three years, they don't really impact what I store in there. There is still a *LOT* of room there. Plus these models have an additional drivers side storage compartment aft of the basement in case you aren't over weight yet.

We have visited the dealer's two Big Skies several times in the last week. One is the 378 and the other is the 382. I agree they are pretty. The fit and finish does appear to be very nice. But are they improved that much? The drawers are still boxes stapled together and screwed to the faceplate. The drawer bottoms are stapled to the box and I found several which were flexing and ready to fall out once something was stored there. The dishwasher is installed at the bottom of the cabinet (as it is in the redwood). Personally I would like to have it placed higher and minimize having to bend over to load and unload.

I am still struggling to understand why I would buy one.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote