View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Converter Upgrade

I have a 45 Amp converter in my 2001 Monty. The existing 45 Amp converter is sufficient to run all the 12V stuff in the coach. I am thinking of replacing it with a newer converter that uses the IQ4 so I can better maintain my batteries (480 AMPS).
My choice for replacement is 45 Amp or 75 Amp converter.
This is what I know. I have a 40 Amp battery charger in the shop. I take a good 12-Volt battery that is run down to say 11 volts. I apply the 40A charger and initially the charger shows an output of 25 Amps. Then within a few minutes the draw drops to around 10 Amps and after an hour the draw is reduced to 3 Amps.
When boondocking, we fire up the generator to charge the batteries. While running the generator, we also want to use the TV Microwave etc.
I also know that my generator will be running near max (1800W) when running a 75-Amp converter leaving ????? for TV Microwave.
So far I can’t see the justification to spend the extra bucks for a 75-Amp converter?
I’m sure there are MOC'ers that have already built this wheel. What experience do you have that will help me decide 45 or 75 Amp converter?
Thanks in advance,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote